Thursday, September 10, 2015



Emily Winters                                                                                                         

“Can you Feel the Rain?”

Doff your hat
As the funeral passes
Wave to the corpses
Let’s put on a show.

And to all the passerby
A somber occasion
Ebony ties and paper-clipped faces
To bar smiles from pouring forth.
Drizzle wine
Holy water and
Grins of hell-hounds under
Umbrellas.
Bask in the uniformity
Your pseudonym is
Death
Your hands
Caked with flour
Sidewalk chalk in creases
Of freshly pressed dresses
And tiny sandwiches
Music box dancers
Twirling in this masquerade
Along with me and you.

But who are you?
And who
Am I
And who’s in there?
(The fine penny-jar coffin
Puppet with the million dollar wages
The hood ornament fixed to the
Roof of the casket)
But can he/she hear
The rain as it comes slinking down
A precursor
A funeral staple
Although we all long for
Sunny days.

But can they feel the rain?
Upon their chilled skin
Parlor white cheeks
With painted on rouge
(They forgot a spot in their haste.)
Attempts to make the dead
Feel (alive)
But no-one looks
That real.

Stretching arms of
Willow-thin women
They all look strangers to me
And you,
You were the only one
The only one who knew me
Saw me
And I long to echo your breaths
Under a pregnant sky
As stars peep into our window
And comets soar past
Open doors.

But the world
Lacks so much
Imagination
Yet it’s hidden
Slumbering in the rafters
Snoozing in our bones.


It aches me
All over
To think of you
Gone
But
The stars are just stars
And the withe-like women
Gathered in a row
To mourn the pauper’s grave
Shade the unmarked tombstone
Blank as the faces
That pass me in waking dreams
With interlocked fingers
High above our heads –

But can you hear the rain
Beneath the ground
In your bed?
I can’t feel the teardrops
As they melt on burning skin.
I can’t hear the birds
As they circle overheard – 
  
I know,
 love, 
 see,
   nothing –

Now that you are dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment