Wednesday, January 20, 2016



Emily Winters                                                                                                                     
                  
“Assumptions”

I thought that love
Could keep us from breaking apart
And I thought that touch
Could replace talk
But now I’m alone,
An island torn from
Everything
That can sustain,
Adrift with a severe lack of oxygen.

I thought stitches
Could sew what time unraveled,
Yet I’ve discovered after a century
Of palaver
With my inner ghosts and overgrown head
That wounds will always heal –
If not by way of simple syrup
Or the mortician’s tactful fingers –
But some hurts never cease
Somethings burn even as the sun
Has abandoned its post
And drifted close the blinds
To rest.

I thought that we could be one
And I thought that for once,
We could be the victors,
Our love could have won.
We could have
We should have –
Statements as bad as “what if;”
Crying over spilled milk
But I’m crying over spoiled blood and
Mutilated hearts…

I thought that we were in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment