Monday, December 14, 2015



Emily Winters                                                                                                        

“Out of the Frying Pan”

I’m sorry if it bothers you
But I love the sound of my own voice
As it drones on and on and
The drones drip their acid-edged pillows
Across the aspirin-colored sky.

Do you hear that?
It’s the sound that bombs make
As they cry;
It’s the sound of minds as they fly.

But I’ve no silk thread wrapped
Around my neck;
There’s no safety net
Cushioning the desert floor,
Barring me from getting burned!
There’s just the frying pan and the
Inevitable flames that ensue
Every time you grip the arthritis-friendly cap.

Just one more.
To make the pain subside for another day,
To make the world’s edges fade
And all the background noise climax
In some sort of discordant symphony.
Allow me to continue
Humming to myself a song
I heard in the olden days when
Nukes flitted across the sky like shooting stars
And rockets were aimed straight for the heart
And the moon was much more than just
Some rock amidst the stars
That fascinates children.

These aren’t fairytales!
Life, as I’m sure you’ve been told,
Is all too real;
I‘ve gone off
Some deep end that marked the border between
The here and now and
Where I’ve already been.
What is past
If I only perpetually relive my tragedies,
If my daydreams are only fantasies that
Cause the memories and the truth
To become detached
For just a short while.

But excuse me,
I’ll just stop talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment