Wednesday, March 16, 2016



Emily Winters                                                                                                        

“Poets Anonymous”

I walk in the wild fancies
Of my forebearers,
Yet I do not wish to follow in their footsteps.
                                                             We frequent haunts                                    
Akin to gothic moors that mimic
Our cynical and overcast souls
And hidden forests dappled with kisses
Of the sun’s light,
Hinting at the smothered optimism
That we all fear to let loose upon the world.

This house is familiar:
It has stood and weathered
Long before I was born,
Yet I wish to build a home
Apart from my father’s,
A home where I can feed and clothe my children;
A home where I can love
Within the boundaries
Of my own terms.

I wish to stand apart:
Up when the world is cast down
And down when exuberance
Creases the corners of every pool and river.
All strive to earn a name;
Not a likeness,
Not another _____,
The next ________!

This house raised me
From the ground
And watered my roots
So that I could taste the sun
Upon wheat-shaded hair
And through the roots could I share
A connection with the past and future –
Shall I be my very own pebble
Necessary to lull the river to bed
Yet singular as the current around me bends?

These autumn forests
May taste of Mother’s goodnight kiss
Or laughter wafting through the rafters,
Yet what is oddly familiar
Is often a new adventure,
An entirely wondrous home
That proves that new,
While not better than old,
Is just as breath-taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment