Friday, April 21, 2017



Emily Winters
 “Sounding like the early summer rain”


And each day, it gets
Harder to breathe. It gets harder to
Walk around as if I am not living beneath the
Constant blur, struggling under the relentless
Haze of the little things as they
Beat their wings against our window,
Sounding like the early summer rain to
Wake up to… if only I could still
Wake up next to you.

You’d grin if you were here.
Tell me to suck it up but I’m tired now.
I’m tired.
There’s too much futility to be invested
In the mundane, too much repetition to
Be excited anymore, too many
Gray days stretched ahead of me and I’m
Sick of the clouds. I’m tired of the rain.

He reminds me of you. The one sitting
Next to me while you’re away, melding
With the stormy weather as I’m finding it
Harder to remember all the times that we’d
Get lost together but how many times did I
Disappear into your eyes, drifting amongst the
Cliffs, my fingers trailing lifelessly over the
Tombstones of your youth, my mouth stumbling
Over your lips, your tongue, your teeth;
My words butchering all of your hurts
I guess I never could soothe.

Did I do anything right? Could I ever hold you
As strongly as surely as kindly as you cradled
My head night after night?
I tried. Damn it all I tried so hard to love you
And I love you
I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment