Thursday, June 15, 2017

Emily Winters

“The Swing at the End of the World”

Sounds like a Shel Silverstein poem.
I often wonder how I've gotten this far,
But more often I'm thinking what's next what's
Next? Basically: "When does my life begin?"

Fear, my constant companion, holding
My hand, sweaty palm to sweaty palm but
I want the tips of my chucks to kiss
The clouds, I want to feel the tension
In the air before a storm stretched like
Cotton-candy, like the space in between two people
Who would kill to kiss one another and
Undoubtedly will, kiss that is.

Would you kill to kiss me, I wonder?
I'd kill to stand on the edge of the world
And scream
You can’t beat me
I stand on many edges a thousand shattered
Mirrors, a thousand pathways balancing
Off of Frost's fingertips, a life a life or
A death on each corner of my cap and
Even as I stick a feather in my a
Flower in my hair with my fingers
Shaking clenching the rope handles, swinging
Untethered
Above the edge of the world
I know that I'm sitting in a field of flowers,

And there are a million more.

No comments:

Post a Comment