Tuesday, August 8, 2017



Emily Winters                                                                                                                    

"And slip your jacket over my shoulders"

I'm overthinking things cause
I overthink everything.
But I do know that your smile looks
Beautiful in the harsh spectral searchlight
Of passing cars as they whisk
By our stationary forms, exposing us
To one another and ourselves to
The world.

But your lips and teeth were bathed in
Light, again. Again.
I see red lights up ahead and
Stretching a mile away from my breaching
Fingertips gasping for oxygen above the
Crimson heads of waves, I see
Stars that I wish into existence. Radio
Tower.

I lean into you subtly or rather I let
Myself lose feeling in my arms as they
Are assaulted by the night spitting its -
Bonfire embers spiraling away - grass
Wet paint wet - Dreams onto my lips and
I feel you painting my lips in the dark,
Shrugging your jacket over my shoulders.

I let the night take control of my body
And fold me into you, hoping that you'll
End my chill and slip your jacket
Over my shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment